As the author of five books and two novellas featuring firemen, I’m here to let you in on some little-known facts about these smokin’ hot heroes. Sure, you probably already know the basics. They put out fires, they drag hoses, they look really really great in their turnouts. But did you know …
1. Most firefighters are also trained as paramedics. So if you’re on a date with a fireman and you choke on your triple layer raspberry fudge cake, he can save your life. Major points!
2. Firefighters love to play pranks during their down time at the firehouse. This means they can go from mischievous jokester to deadly serious professional in half a second flat. Gotta love a guy who keeps things interesting, right?
3. Many firefighters become expert at cooking for big groups, but they’re not all meat-and-potatoes guys. One Texas firefighter put his entire firehouse on a vegan, low-cholesterol diet and the whole crew lost weight. While doing my research, I’ve found that firefighters defy stereotypes, which makes them really fun to write about.
4. Firefighters field all sorts of strange calls. In a crisis, they’re the ones people often turn to. But did you know one firefighter training manual actually has a section on how to respond to an alien encounter? Firemen have to be prepared for anything. That’s guaranteed to make you feel safe. In case of alien invasion, I recommend you stay close to a fireman.
5. As I recently discovered on a Hawaiian beach, in many ocean-adjacent communities, the lifeguards are actually part of the fire department. They’re the ones who swim out to rescue kids caught up in the currents. While wearing official issue board shorts. Fireman/lifeguard? How’s that for a combo?
Have I convinced you that firemen make drool-worthy heroes, or were you already a fan?
Jennifer Bernard is a graduate of Harvard and a former news promo producer. The child of academics, she confounded her family by preferring romance novels to … well, any other books. She left big city life for true love in Alaska, where she now lives with her husband and stepdaughters. She’s no stranger to book success, as she also writes erotic novellas under a naughty secret name not to be mentioned at family gatherings. Visit her on the Web at www.JenniferBernard.net